Seismic Handler installation
Seismic Handler is only available for Linux systems. Support for other Unix operating systems was dropped. Installation instructions listed here are only valid for the latest software release. For former version please have a look at the history of this page.
On this site only the source code of Seismic Handler is available. In order to compile it please install all necessary software for X11 and Motif development. SH/M should run on any Linux OS, detailed instructions are available for following Linux flavours:
- Ubuntu and related systems like Kubuntu, Xubuntu, ...
- RedHat Enterprise Linux
- Fedora (complex installation)
If you plan to install SH/SHM at a system without internet access, please also download the FK and LocSAT archives. If an internet connection is available at the target system, these files will be downloaded automatically:
- Start installation in the directory you downloaded the installation package:
$ bash ./SHM-2013a-install.shIf you need to use alternative locations for LocSAT/FK simply add them as parameter, for example like
$ bash ./SHM-2013a-install.sh -l /tmp/locsat-linux.tar.gz -f /tmp/fk-linux.tar.gzPlease always use absolute pathnames! It's also possible to use an FTP or HTTP address, e.g: -l http://localmirror/locsat-linux.tar.gz.
- If you have no administrative rights, you can perform an user installation to any directory you are able to write in.
- LocSAT and fk are downloaded from our FTP server automatically. If you set alternate locations, these will be used.
- Before performing the installation, you can alter some automatically detected settings:
(u) user root path: $HOME/shfiles (f) filter set: iaspei (e) window based texteditor: leafpad (p) postscript viewer: evince (c) linux colors: yesPlease note the filter set option (see details)! If everything is ok, start compiling by typing "i".
- Compilation process takes place. Please look for compiling errors.
- Finished. If any problems are found, the temporary directory with the installation sources is kept, otherwise deleted.
- Update your environment depending on your shell (edit ~/.cshrc or ~/.bashrc respectively). The exact procedure depends on the installation path. After installing SH/SHM the setup routine will display the effective information.
If you have problems installing SH/SHM please contact us via users mailing list!
If you are new to Seismic Handler please read the instructions for the first steps after installation.